Image of assorted seeds Image of Navajo Rug Image of ceramic owl effigy rock art


Access to Collections

The Anthropology Section encourages the use of collections for research, exhibition, and educational programming through loans and on-site visits. Collection materials are available for study based upon reasonable requests. However, the Section must balance access to the collections and associated records with long-term preservation and staff availability.

Requests for access to the collections should be sent in writing (letter, email, or fax) to the Anthropology Collection Manager or Curator of Anthropology. Written requests should include the Use of Collections Request form and a brief summary of the requestor's research interest or proposed use of collection items. For destructive analysis, researchers must first submit an Application for Destructive Sampling, which may be obtained from the Anthropology Section. Destructive sampling requests require written approval of the Curator of Anthropology. For research requests and image rights and reproduction please contact:


Loans serve to broaden public access to and encourage research on collections. Loaned property refers to any property borrowed by or loaned from the Anthropology Section collections that is not accompanied by a transfer of title or temporary custody receipt. The Anthropology Section maintains an active loan program that consists of in-coming and out-going loans, both on and off campus. Due to liability issues, the Anthropology Section makes loans to institutions only, not to individuals. Archival materials do not circulate and must be used on the premises.

Loans are made for a specified period of time, usually one year or less, and the Section does not make permanent or indefinite loans. All loans, in-coming and out-going, must be authorized by the Curator of Anthropology. Formal loan requests must be made in writing (letter, email or fax) that includes a brief description of intended use. For out-going exhibition loans, the borrowing institution's standard facility report is required prior to approval.

University of Colorado at Boulder

Henderson Building, 15th and Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309
tel: 303.492.6892 fax: 303.492.4195
For questions or comments, please email
© Regents of the University of Colorado.